Welcome to Germany

I finished my trek across the Atlantic at about 11am (4am central standard time) when I arrived at the Estrella in Berlin. Nothing too exciting from the flights, except for being extremely cold while flying across the ocean and getting maybe one hour of sleep.  That's ok because I don't feel jet-lagged at all even after my 4 hour nap.

After checking in and registering I decided to do some unguided sight seeing.  Without a map. Not a word of German in my vocab.  (OK well danke does count!)  It wasn't a total failure as I enjoyed walking around seeing the differences in the way this city is laid out compared to cities in the US.  I really wanted to enjoy some good German food (this was our only meal not taken care of) but I could not even read the signs to see what I was ordering and I was shy about jumping up and asking the person.  So that was a fail and I was a little disapointed in myself that I ended up eating at McDonalds.  Fly across the ocean to eat at McDonalds. I don't even like McDonalds!

All in all it was still fun walking around the city.  I look forward to tackling that again and using some of the great public transportation here.

I did get to meet two interesting new people, Molly King from Virginia/Nebraska and Sarah Cissy Kunya from the East Africa Annual Conference.  My roommate is also an Africa from the DRC so I am looking for some good cultural exchange!  I hope my natural shyness does not get in the way.

We ended the night with worship and that was pretty good. It was neat that I could put on my headsets and hear people worshiping in different languages. 

Keep us in your prayers that we can share our cultures and diversity but yet keep in mind that we are all children of God.  I will try to blog as much as I can about my experience and look for pics on facebook!

God bless from Germany!

David

Comments

  1. McDonalds?!?!

    Dude most Germans speak English, and will be very helpful (in spite of their unfriendly reputation).

    Make a German friend and ask for help, go get some Bratwurst and Frittes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vision 2030: Our Mission

Time to Grow Up

Thoughts from the first five chapters of Luke