On Sports Camp and VBS and the Kissing of Pigs

I am happy that I will be kissing a pig this week.


Weird huh?  I agreed that if we would collect 400 items for Camacho that I would kiss a pig. So I am happy because we will be providing over 400 items to the back pack program at Camacho Elementary school to provide food for students who would not have a weekend meal otherwise.

I am happy that I am kissing a pig because it has brought incredible joy to the young people who have come up to me to say how excited they are to see their pastor kiss a pig. I do what I can to make people happy. Actually, that isn't true, I am not really in the happiness business, but I am in the discipleship business.

I think about Matthew 19:13-15 "Some people brought children to Jesus so that he would place his hands on them and pray. But the disciples scolded them. 'Allow the children to come to me,' Jesus said. 'Don't forbid them, because the kingdom of heaven belongs to people like these children.' Then he blessed the children and went away from there."

If Jesus thought that it was important for the children to be a main part of this crazy group of people we call the church, then it should be a priority for us as well! I am their pastor as much as anyone else in the entire church. That is why I believe in events like Mega Sports Camp where the entire church works to help disciple the children (and youth for that matter)! That is why we need to make worship that connects with our youth and children; have a place in worship for youth and children to participate and even lead!

I encourage each of you to think about how you are helping disciple young people in your church. Are you committed to raising up a new generation of leaders? Or are you just concerned with making church conform to your preferences?



So I am happy that I am kissing a pig. I am glad that my church, Rockbridge, is reaching out to help young people who are hungry. I am also happy because we are reaching out to fill their spiritual hunger too. I'll kiss a pig any day for that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vision 2030: Our Mission

Time to Grow Up

Thoughts from the first five chapters of Luke