No Hands But Yours...


A friend of mine, Kyle Roberson shared this on Facebook:

Teresa of Avila, a sixteenth-century Spanish mystic, wrote, "Christ has no body now on earth but yours, no hands but yours, no feet but yours. Yours are the eyes through which Christ's compassion is to look out to the world; yours are the feet with which he is to go about doing good; yours are the hands with which God is to bless people now (from commonprayer.net)."

Did you catch that? It isn't that God needs us, but God designed the Kingdom of God to use human hands. God changed my life and most often that has been through the hands and feet of people. I think about the pastor who baptized me right after I was adopted; about Jim Gaither who put up with me in Sunday school; Rev. Travis Franklin who confirmed me; Marsha Ingle who was my youth pastor; my parents; Rev. Judy Shema who was my faith mom in college; Gary Moore who was my mentor in college; and Travis Burdett who was my closest friend in seminary. Each of these people changed my life and were the presence of God for me at one time or another. They say it takes a village to raise a child, it certainly takes a village to raise a pastor!

Here is my point, friends: God is looking for you to step up and be the church. There are so many opportunities for you to help and to serve both inside and outside of the church. At Rockbridge, you can serve and help out with the pumpkin patch and with our fall festival and with our trunk or treat. These are a great way to connect with our community. Want to change a life? Be a literacy partner or a mentor for a student in one of the local school districts.

"Yours are the hands with which God is to bless people." Time to stop making excuses and get involved!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vision 2030: Our Mission

Why a Mission Celebration?

Thoughts from the first five chapters of Luke